Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
The bell within the church is wide and is infact the second biggest bell within Goa. It was actually the bell of the Church of Our Lady Of Grace. The Golden Bell was known as the "Bell of the Inquisition" was moved to the Our Lady Of The Immaculate Conception Church within 1841. The sheer size and grandiose nature of Our Lady Of The Immaculate Conception Church speaks volumes about the influence and the wealth enjoyed by the churches in those times.The Our lady of the Immaculate Conception Church is situated within the centre of the city of Panaji and is a well known landmark. It is one of the oldest churches that were constructed in Goa. At night, the pristine beauty of the church increases manifold. As soon as evening sets in, this huge monument is transformed into a shining and bright display as it is lit up with a lot of low electric bulbs.
The indoor architecture of the church is pretty impressive. There are two altars within the church. One is committed towards Jesus crucified and the else is committed to the Lady of Rosary. However, both the altars are marvellously gilded and decorated with carvings, yet defined and uncomplicated, a fine example of the architecture of that era. Towards the south of the right of the primary altar, is a Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, whose glass-encased statue occupies the focal point of that area. In the medieval, this church was the landmark for the sailors towards bid thank you for a safe anchoring. It is believed that Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church was initially constructed in 1541AD and afterwards it was re-built in 1619AD.
Best Selling Goa Tours
"file" tab contnet here